Monday, August 18, 2008

Ibarra or bust.

Only 10 more days until I leave DC! Crazy!

I've just found out where I'll be living for the next year! And it is...... IBARRA!!! I'm very excited. It seems like the just the sort of place I want to be for the next 11 months - medium-sized city, teaching at a community school, in the Sierra, with lots of hiking and backpacking opportunities. Here are some snippets from my email about my placement:

"Ibarra is a small or medium, proudly 402-year-old city in the sierra, about 3 bus hours north of Quito. We're actually just north of the equator. It's very handy to be this close to Quito, but at the same time, it's nice that it's lower than Quito. That makes the weather a little warmer and the oxygen a little less scarce. It's also just more attractive and safer than Quito and some other cities. "

On my teaching assignment:
"You'll be working for a little municipal-run capacity-building center, El Centro de CapacitaciĆ³n del Municipio de Ibarra. It's a really cute little campus with a nice garden. "

"CECAMI accepts any student age 12 and up, so your classr
oom age-range can really vary from teenagers to middle-aged adults. "

My thoughts on it: AWESOME!!!

Well, things are winding down now. I've finished work, finished all but two secondaries (Temple and Georgetown), and gotten most of my things in order. So now is the time to enjoy and have fun and shop! I've had a few fun days and I'm looking forward to more.

Some pictures from some happy days!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My Goodness! You have some good looking family and friends! LOL!