Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Halloween.

So I had a good end of week and weekend. But right now I only have time and internet speed to write about the awesome Halloween party. Weekend stuff will come soon, I hope.

On Thursday (Oct. 30), we held our Halloween party. It was a success if I do say so myself. I don't know if I really imparted much cultural knowledge or any English that day, but we succeeded in getting all the students to wear costumes, eat ungodly amounts of candy, pass apples with only their necks, and of course, do a soul train line. It was a good party. We definitely got everyone dancing, including my 75 year old student Luis who dressed as Dracula and did hip thrusts all down the soul train line.

Yup, I came to Ecuador to volunteer and I end up throwing parties. I live a difficult life. Haha. But really, it was a lot of work getting ready! There were all sorts of expectations. As North Americans, we must obviously know how to throw a huge Halloween party and should impart some sort of cultural lesson. We were feeling a little bit of the pressure and tried to make sure we had good decorations, games, and costumes. We went early in the week to the costume shop and ended up getting roped into being costume models. In these costume stores, they take pictures of people in the costumes and put them on the wall. I think they jumped on the chance to get pictures of gringos. So, I ended up wearing a snow white costume, several variations of an indigenous Zuleta costume, and a doll outfit. That was fun and I ended up going as the doll. Not too shabby for a Halloween outside of the U.S.

Here are some pictures of my classes!


My basic class



My intermediate class



Me dancing with Luis, hip thrusts and all


Being my model self, you know, the usual.

More to come soon!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Hey Kristine -- Glad to see you're having so much fun in Ecuador. I am green with envy. It beats sitting in an office at Monster Government Solutions. I'm glad your experiences are so wonderful. Enjoy and embrace them. I still miss your smiling face though! Take care, and drop me a line sometime! Hugs, Julie Gerner