Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Teaching.... And the Honor Code.

Hip Hip Hooray!

I am finished with my very first module of English classes. And I think they were successes, if I do say so myself! Even though teaching can be really tough (it really is) and can be frustrating when they don't get it or when they have bad behavior, my classes did really well. On the final, a 70% is necessary to pass the class. For my basic class, I only had two students who didn't pass. One was my 75 year old student Luis (the same one who did hip thrusts all down the soul train line). I think he might be slightly illiterate or had a stroke (I notice he has trouble writing and talking). However, he was so endearing as he was always tried so hard in class! Whenever, I shouted out, "What? What? I don't hear you! ENERGY!", Luis would scream back what I wanted them to say over everyone else and would add a "Miss Kristine" to the end. I think he was just too old to keep up with the class. The other student was a girl who just never came to class. I don't think she really cared. As for my intermediate class, they all passed with flying colors!

Now that the first module is done, Debby (the other teacher at CECAMI) and I are rearranging our schedules. For the first module, we each taught a basic and intermediate class (in addition to our conversation class). That was nice since we lesson planned together, but it was overall a lot of work since we were planning for 3 classes in the morning (all morning!!!) then teaching for 5 hours straight ( 3 - 8). Now, we've split it up so that I have both intermediate classes (so I get to keep my intermediate class, who I loved. My beginning class was the naughty one.) and Debby has both basic classes (she gets to keep her basic class that she loved). I hope this cuts down on the work that we do. Lesson planning is hard!

So our last class was a good celebration. We combined all the classes in the biggest classroom for speeches (everything here goes with speeches, so formal!) and a talent show. My intermediate class is so organized. They organized a few songs - Stand by Me and More than Words. I have the videos, I have to upload them. They were also really cute because my intermediate class organized a whole party after in a Karaoke bar. They organized bringing pizza and drinks and splitting the costs. We had a huge table of probably 30 people. We ate, sang Karaoke (Debby and I did a stunning and embarrassing rendition of Barbie Girl and Total Eclipse of the Heart), and then of course, broke out into dancing. It was actually a really fun night! I heart my intermediate class!

So now I start classes afresh (but with many of the same students) tomorrow. I hope it goes well!

Here are some pictures that I took of my beautiful school. I think it's probably the most gorgeous school of all the WT placements.


My classroom

My classroom from the grounds

View from my classroom

Debby and I on the grounds

Things I have learned about teaching (so far):
  1. You need a lesson plan. Lesson plans take a long time to make.
  2. Every Ecuadorian when they come in late will not go quietly to their chair. No, they will yell from the doorway while you are at the front teaching, "Hello! Good Afternoon!", then go to their seat. For us it's rude to interrupt. For them its rude not to say hello. At first, I was wondering what the hell they were doing.
  3. Honor does not exist in Ecuador (at least not in the schools). Cheating is so prevalent here. In total nostalgia for my UVA honor code days, I instituted an honor pledge on all exams. It's been edited to make it easier for my students. They had to write "On my honor as a student, I did not cheat on this exam." I was hoping this would guilt them into being good. Maybe a few. But others, no. I had to watch them like hawks in the exam. There was blatant whispering and mouthing of words across the room. I had to move people several times and I should have cashed in on my threat to rip up papers if I saw cheating, but I couldn't really do it. Sigh. If only the honor code applied here.
  4. To be an engaging teacher, you must be slightly like a circus animal. Always playing games and being a little goofy, but at the same time strict. It's all so confusing!
Oh well. It was a good first module! Now, I'm looking forward to another one (hopefully with less lesson planning hours a day)!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

institute corporal punishment